San Francisco District Attorney’s Office Alternative Sentencing Program:
A leader in innovative approaches to criminal justice, District Attorney George Gascón is embarking on a new approach to reduce recidivism and improve public safety.
The (ASP) Alternative Sentencing Program gives prosecutors additional information on alternative sanctioning option. The ASP is available on all realignment 1170 (h) cases as well as other selected cases where an alternative to a pure jail/prison sentence may be possible. The goal is to assist prosecutors in the identification of safe, effective sanctions that will address the offenders criminogenic needs and help advance public safety.
Information gathered and documented by the Alternative Sentencing Program is considered “Confidential Work Product” of the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office.
Menu of Services (Pre-Plea):
- Assist in conducting investigations including collecting, compiling, verifying and evaluating information regarding defendant’s criminal history.
- In consultation with Assistant District Attorney, attend court arraignment, Early Resolution Program (ERP), hearings and sentencing; provide case information to Judges.
- Evaluate defendant’s eligibility for alternative sentencing.
- Determine when a specialized program is appropriate and/or necessary.
- Assist in coordinating intensive case management services for assigned defendant.
- Assist with and coordinate placement of defendants into transitional housing, substance abuse, mental health and related treatment programs.
- Serve as a resource regarding the effectiveness of specific reentry programs.
For general inquiry or to request assistance, please contact:
Luis M. Aroche
Alternative Sentencing Planner
Office of District Attorney George Gascón